Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Is a lower back pain an indication that a kidney stone is

Customer Question

Is a lower back pain an indication that a kidney stone is moving
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: No injuries Advil helps But I am sure I have a kidney stone because I had a ultra sound done on my liver
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually YES it can indicate movement of the kidney stone through the urinary tract because when it moves it would irritate the ureters (the tubes which connect teh kidneys to the bladder) and that would lead to contractions of the ureters which would cause the pain. But at the same time, a stone could have passed and no longer in the tract but it can STILL cause some residual pain in the lower back as well. In many patients, lower back pain is actually ureteric colic in which case there is no renal stone in the ureters but the ureters are spasming.

So simply put, YES it can indicate that the stone is moving in most cases but it is not a 100% certainty. Only an ultrasound or Ct would be able to tell if the stone has moved or not.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/