Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Cut the end of my finger off (just skin and some flesh) with

Customer Question

Hi cut the end of my finger off (just skin and some flesh) with a pair of scissors. had it cleaned and wrapped at hospital. Healing well but have tingling started. Had tetanus booster 4years, 8 months ago. Is that tetanus situation ok? Any thoughts?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Tetanus booster 8 month ago would give you immunity.

Tingling is part of healing due to formation of the scar tissue. It is not a concerning symptoms or sign.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tetanus booster was 4 years 8 months ago. Is that ok? Concern?

Sorry for it.

I thought you had a tetanus at 4 years ago and than at 8 months (was a comma there!).

Tetanus occurs in contaminated wounds. With clean wounds, tetanus in not likely. With a booster 4 years 8 months ago; immunity do persists. Though it is not optimum.

With your symptoms I do not suspect tetanus.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Anything I should look out for?Secondly I have a hematoma on my right knee which is quite swollen and swelling spread above and down leg. It seems my lymph nodes in groin are swollen and under armpit (both on right side only). Armpit right side very sore. My finger injury is right side too. Any connection or concern?

Fever is the only thing you need to look for.

Lymph nodes are our first line of defense and thus get enlarge on inflammation in the draining areas. The finger injury has enlarged the axilla (arm pit) lymph nodes and hematoma at knee has enlarged the groin (inguinal lymph) nodes. Nothing worrisome here.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is great news. Thanks. Side question - does tetanus come on suddenly or over a few days? I realise symptoms come on from 4-21 days.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also...I am getting chilling and mild sweating now and then but guess that is more to do with swelling in knee

The onset of tetanus is gradual, so it would come in some days. I would not worry about it, though. Chilling and mild sweating can also occur due to slight anxiety as well as due to swelling in knee.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.