Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Well off & on the last month when I go to sleep I wake up

Customer Question

Hello.
JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: Well off & on the last month when I go to sleep I wake up real fast.. like I'm in shock & jump up & it's like my chest is hollow & numb & I can't feel myself breathe. Then my heart will beat super fast.. I've been to the hospital for anxiety before, but I'm not sure if these are anxiety symptoms ? I'm 19 female.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: YouWell off & on the last month when I go to sleep I wake up real fast.. like I'm in shock & jump up & it's like my chest is hollow & numb & I can't feel myself breathe. Then my heart will beat super fast.. I've been to the hospital for anxiety before, but I'm not sure if these are anxiety symptoms ?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nope. Always been very healthy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing and treating neurological & all health conditions and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

These symptoms too sound like anxiety related.

This is unlikely a presentation of real illnesses like heart problems or any other serious illnesses and this type of presentation is certainly suggestive of anxiety related manifestations rather than any thing serious

Once again I strongly reassure you these manifestations you have mentioned above are suggestive of anxiety related symptoms rather than any other illnesses or anything serious in nature.

Could you tell me what kind of symptoms you have had before for which you had been to hospital?

What kind of investigations have you had so far?

How is your blood pressure?

Best Regards!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My blood pressure has always been fine. The first time I went to the hospital I was 18 & first I was having a tight chest.. then my heart started fluttering & again, my chest was numb. They then said it was anxiety. Other than that I haven't been to the hospital. What I don't understand is.. Im a happy person.. & no reasons to have anxiety. Is it normal to just happen out of no where?

Thanks for all these additional information. I am preparing & typing my answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

Once again I reassure you these new symptoms you have mentioned are strongly suggestive of anxiety related rather than due to anything else, so please not to be scared

You will do perfectly fine, these are not indicative of any heart problems or any other serious illnesses and these are just anxiety related symptoms and please not to be scared.

You have asked a question, in spite of being normal and happy person is it normal to have anxiety like this, the answer is yes it can happen, there can be subconscious component for anxiety disorder & its manifestations where the person is not suffering from any obvious anxiety disorder, or not aware of this disorder but can intermittently present with manifestations secondary to anxiety disorder.

Have you tried any treatments for anxiety disorder so far?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I hate the way the medicine makes me feel. I've been told to get a cat, lol so I did. But also sometimes my face Gets really hot & my head feels pressure.. that ok?

Okay I see, yes, I understand your concerns and I agree with your points.

Yes, the symptoms you have mentioned here also is suggestive of anxiety related rather than any other illnesses or anything serious in nature.

If you feel you will be more reassured by undergoing some investigations then you may ask your doctors to do some heart & chest related investigations which may include a chest x ray, EKG, Holter monitor, Echocardiogram etc, but I strongly feel all these tests will come normal.

Hi, do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know.

Best Regards!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I'm glad you're sure it's anxiety .. any tips to prevent it or stop it?

Yes, I am very sure these are anxiety related symptoms.

Sure, there are remedies, you seem to be reluctant to use medications, do you want to me recommend some non-medication treatment options?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please

Okay sure. I am preparing & typing a list of non-medication treatment options for managing anxiety and I will post it here as soon as it is ready.

The following is a list of commonly used non-medication treatment options for controlling & preventing anxiety disorder;

CBT (Cognitive Behavioral therapy)

ACT (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy)

Biofeedback

Hypnotherapy

Acupuncture

Yoga & meditation

Deep breathing/Deep relaxation techniques

Medical devices like CES (Cranial Electrotherapy Stimulation) etc

I am not telling all these above treatments are required in your case, but providing you with a list of various non-medication treatment options that are available for your condition. If you see any of the above treatments you have already tried please disregard them and consider trying the ones that are not yet tried.

In addition to the above special treatments general measures like adequate daily exercises, especially aerobic exercises and healthy & balanced diet is recommended too since they also contribute the dilution & treatment of anxiety disorder.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. And please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best Regards!

Neuro Doctor

Best Regards!