Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had two medial branch injection procedures one week apart.

Customer Question

I had two medial branch injection procedures one week apart. How long will they stay in my system. My weight is up 12 pounds and I suffering from insomnia, sleeping aboun3 hours per dayūüėü
JA: I'm trying to find the right Doctor for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Levothyroxine, Celebrex, lisinipril, Premarin and xanax(as needed)
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: L3-l4 fusion last year, two RF's since 9/14 and the last being 1/2016. L4-l5 fused 2003. They are looking at l5-sI and L2-L3 for my disabling back pain since RF wore off
JA: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Nothing helps, constant low back pain, worse than before my last fusion but lower and radiates down the hip and leg with total right foot numbness and tingling to my ankle, sometimes higher.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

you most likely had a steroid injection into or around the medial branch nerves of the spine.

sometimes the steroids get absorb systemically

and can cause poor sleep and increased appetite and weight gain

you need to watch what you are eating

and avoid napping during the day to sleep better at night time

exercise during the day can help you sleep better at night.

most likely the steroids will be out of your system in 1-2 weeks.