Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

86 year old male. stopped taking warfarin dude to

Customer Question

86 year old male. stopped taking warfarin dude to hemogfloben low eadings. continued wsith 325mg asperin. Have major bruising (more than with warfaren or plavix). would "baby" asperins be as effcecftived with less brusing
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Atenolol. amlodapine. frosemide. iron. venlaxafine. gabapentin. vitamin D3. multi vitamin.325mg asperin. simbacort. albuterol
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've had five minor strokes in past tenty years. last one, 2/2015) hit my brain stem, creating temporary double vision and permanent partial loss of equilibrium. previous stroke had little or no lasting effects (known)
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Well it actually depends on what you are using the baby aspirin for, if it is being used to prevent another stroke from occurring then YES it is effective in prevention of secondary stroke. The only condition in which it would not be effective in preventing a stroke would be if you had a blood clot inside the heart or a major blood clot in the arteries in the neck, in that situation aspirin would not be effective and you would need a stronger blood thinner such as eliquis or pradaxa etc.

So the answer here is not simple, while the low dose aspirin would definitely cause less bruising and may also prevent another attack of stroke, it wont prevent a stroke which is being caused from a blood clot in the heart or any other major blood clot. Also if you are having repeated bruising even with aspirin then you should be tested again with a CBC, PT/APTT/INR and if needed a platelet function study to find out the underlying cause for this.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If platelets are low, will that be indicated b y excessive bruising?

Yes it will be indicated by excessive bruising and that i why i mentioned a CBC should be done and in that case you cannot take aspirin.

Do you have any more questions?