Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

What is a cause of toenail fungus and with it feet felling

Customer Question
encaged in a stiff JA: Have...
What is a cause of toenail fungus and with it feet felling encaged in a stiff
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: crust.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am 86 years old and in fair health----good cholestral and good BP.
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: My meds are hyarr and a ,81 aspirin
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
1/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. — For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

— I have read your post and observations and history.

I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Toenail fungus is caused by fungus which is airborne, and unavoidable. We live in symbiosis with many different types of fungus, and when fungus finds a body region which is amenable to colonization (usually an area which is dark and moist and warm, like the toes), it can grow into an infection. Foot stiffness is not typically caused by fungus. It can be caused by arthritis, or chronic inflammation of the joints in the foot, or a short-term injury to the muscles or soft tissue ligaments of the foot, or muscle fatigue in the foot, or poor nutrition in the foot, and sometimes accumulation of blood-borne chemicals, as with gout or pseudogout or rheumatoid arthritis.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** i get relief?

Relief depends first on a diagnosis... which is a tough thing to hope for without being able to examine the foot. If you'd like, there are certainly some good options for treatment trials you could start, to see if you get relief. That is one way to go around having a clear diagnosis. If you get better - it may not really matter what's causing the stiffness, i suppose! Would you like some treatment trial options?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Forget it---I will see my doctor instead because I did not receive sufficent info.No, I will see my doctor in person. Thank you. even tho i learned nothing from asking on line. In the past. I did feel
comfortable with the answer.

Are you sure? it's no trouble for me to help provide you with some options that may help relieve your symptoms.

This chat dialog is intended to be a question/answer format, and not intended to give you a one-shot summary answer.. so, I'm not surprised that you have learned nothing - I didn't think we had reached a point where I was yet able to offer you concrete advice.

Foot Support

- Consider freezing a plastic water bottle and rolling it under your foot. This helps with inflammation and also stretches tissues

- Try inserting orthotics into the shoes you wear. This will helps to disperse body weight evenly over the underfoot.

- Stretch the affected body parts. Slowly, Thoroughly, and Regularly

- Regular dosing with anti-inflammatory medications helps reduce inflammation and improves comfort.

- Consider consulting with a Physical Therapist or Exercise Therapist for additional support and guidance with stretching and strengthening.

Medicine Options for you:

These medications should be dosed by timing, not symptoms

1. 1 Take Naproxen (Aleve) 500mg twice daily with food

OR ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) 800mg every 8 hours with food

OR ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) 600mg every 6 hours with food

AND/OR Tylenol 1000mg every 8 hours for additional relief

→ For the general public, these may be safely taken to help build up anti- inflammatory levels during an illness. Ibuprofen is best taken with food to avoid stomach discomfort, and both Naproxen and Ibuprofen may be safely taken together with Tylenol for additive effect. Those who take these medications as prescribed, with consistency over several days, typically feel more relief than when they are taken sporadically. It is important to check with a primary care doctor to make sure these are safe doses for you and your personal medical history.

Was I able to address the question you provided to your satisfaction? Can I clarify, or address any other related questions for you today?

Family Physician, Doctor