Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am 78 yrs of age and have been treated for high

Customer Question

I am 78 yrs of age and have been treated for high cholesterol for 14 yrs and have developed a problem of hair loss and numbness in my hands and feet. My doctor recommended Krill oil, is this sufficient to taking care of my problems?
JA: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?
Customer: My mother had no problem but my deceased father had heart problems
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I worked with a doctor as medical receptionist for 28 years , I am on blood pressure medication (Losatan) and lmeprazole for Gerd
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From your description it sounds like that you may be developing peripheral arterial disease. This is a condition in which there is narrowing of teh arteries of the limbs. This usually occurs because of cholesterol deposition as well as other debris. This is a slowly progressive disease meaning it can get worse over time. Now this would cause symptoms like shiny skin, hair loss, numbness, tingling as well as burning or pain in the limbs. It can also cause change in the color of the limbs in advanced cases to blue, red or white. Now the diagnosis is made simply with the help of a doppler ultrasound of the limbs and once diagnosed treatment can be started with simple medications which can include drugs like statins as well as plavix or cilostazol. In severe cases stents may be needed in order to open up the arteries.

Now the krill oil that you are using is NOT enough to treat peripheral arterial disease as it will not help in opening up the arteries. Now krill oil wont be enough if you have peripheral arterial disease but simple issues like numbness because of other causes may be helped because of it. However there are other causes which can cause this issue as well including peripheral neuropathy which would be diagnosed with a NCS/EMG test and in that case as well you would need treatment with drugs like lyrica or neurontin.

My suggestion is that you can continue to use krill oil however at the same time get the above tests done as well. Also consider using vitamin B12 supplements which can help in improving numbness in some patients. But do get the above tests done.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.