dr afrasiabi
dr afrasiabi, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine
18172373

I have had an off and on again pain under my right lower

Customer Question

Hi...I have had an off and on again pain under my right lower rib. I sit a lot (and by stomach has developed pot that I have never really had prior. In some positions it lessens. In the morning it may well not be there at all. If I am lying flat the pain again seems to subside. Icing seems to help as does passing gas (though this may be unrelated. I am 6' tall and weigh about 205 lbs (about 10 lbs more than my norm). I am 62 years old. Standing and correct posture seems to help as well. It will sometimes seem to spread to the left side. I have GERD and have had ulcers from time to time that are under control. My stools are normal. I have had this same pain before but it went away and has not returned in some years.
Category: Medical
Expert:  dr afrasiabi replied 9 months ago.

a high probability includes gall stones just by the location. You may also suffer from a duodenal ulcer. first thing you will need is an abdominal ultrasonagraphy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Assuming gall stones, how is this treated?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will work to get an appointment with my doctor...as hard as it is to see him.

if it is found to be associated with your symptoms then gall bladder should be removed. the fact that you had this before, could mean you have passed stones in the past!. this can be dangerous and can cause bad infections that can kill you. it can also cause inflammation of pancreas which can be very, very painful and often requires hospitalization

please rate and complete this process. thanks