Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My wife has had chemo and a complete mastectomy for breast

Customer Question

My wife has had chemo and a complete mastectomy for breast cancer. The initial tumor was biopsied and found to have been caused by HER2 cells produced by her breast tissue. After the chemo series of treatments, the tumor had dissolved. She had a complete body scan following the chemo and was declared disease free. My wife decided to go ahead and have both breasts removed because we have been told that there is a strong chance of the disease returning because HER2 is so related to breast tissue. The pathology report on the removed breast tissue came back disease free also. They also removed several lymph nodes just to be safe. Now they want her to under-go radiation treatment for a month. After that she will have a series of treatments with Herceptin. We are fine with the Herceptin treatments, but we are very concerned about the radiation. We have met with the radiologist and been informed about the many possible ("but rare") negative side effects of this treatment. We really do not want her to go through the radiation treatments. She's been declared disease free and we just feel it's more treatment than she needs at this point. If she had indications of existing disease we would not even question it, but this is not the case and we think there is too great of a risk, for little or no curative value. We live in a small town and there is only one, very qualified oncologist, so we have no where to turn for a second opinion. Can you help us.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your wife and her breast cancer

I am a radiation oncology doctor

at the beginning of her diagnosis, how large was her breast cancer in her breast?

did she have evidence of cancer spread to lymph nodes in her arm pit before she started chemotherapy and herceptin?

is her tumor Estrogen receptor positive or negative?