Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Scariest thing ever happened last night. Im still getting

Customer Question
over this lingering cold and...
Scariest thing ever happened last night. Im still getting over this lingering cold and i was sleep on my back with my mouth open (i had 2 pillows under my head) and i cant always breathe out my nose at night and i was having a dream and in my dream i started to not be able to breathe and i woke up and i had what felt like a film over my throat and i had to swallow 10 times to to be able to breathe it felt as though my mouth was so dry but yet i couldnt inhale a full deep breath.... it lasted maybe 30 seconds. It was terrifying. Any idea what could have caused this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
1/2/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

thanks for starting a new question for me

sounds like a night terror or a panic attack at night time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What causes that? That makes someone not be able to breathe?

you were most likely in a state between awake and dreaming a bad dream.

I'm sure it was difficult to tell real amount of time

I bet it felt like 30 seconds, but most likely was not that long.

sounds like a bad night terror or panic attack at night time when you were sleeping and work up suddenly

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have never had one of those!! I was wondering if it could have been a laryngospasm. Either way i was scared. How do i prevent this from occuring again? To be honest im scared to sleep.

it sounds like you have severe anxiety symptoms

you need to talk to your doctor about medications to help decrease your anxiety symptoms

medications like diazepam, clonazepam can help you sleep and decrease your anxiety symptpoms

hydroxyzine can help as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you dont think it was a laryngospasm then? I think i should inquire about the anxiety thing as well. Will any of those mediciation interfere with my thyroid medication and are there any crazy side effects?

those medications can help decrease your anxiety symptoms

I don't think you have laryngospasms.

severe anxiety symptoms can cause tightness of your throat type symptoms during the day or night.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They wont interfere with my synthyroid?? Are there other side effects? Can my doctor diagnose me with anixety just during a normal visit?

you have to take your synthroid on its own with no other medication for 30 minutes before or after

but outside of that, you can take other medications.

yes, your doctor can diagnose you with anxiety disorder with questions for you and assessment.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician