Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My daughter has been experiencing severe mood swings

Customer Question

My daughter has been experiencing severe mood swings (anxiety, weepiness, anger, etc.), insomnia, weight gain. i had her thyroids checked and they said that they were normal. She is 19 years old and it seems to have started about a year ago but has gotten progressively worse. Her mood swings are sporadic and she craves sugar now more than before. I am very concerned for her. It is becoming debilitating and my husband and I dont know what to do. I took her to see an GYN who prescribed depression drugs but I dont want to start her her to doing this if this is not needed. Any ideas? We need help.
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Again, this started nearly a year ago and her symptoms has gotten progressively worse. They are sporadic though. Yes she has been to see her PCP and GYN. More recently she saw the GYN who tested performed a hormonal imbalance test and thyroid. I noticed changes though right after a vomiting spell that she had. I think she had a virus or something and soon after that, I began seeing a change in her.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She is otherwise a healthy child. She is not a social butterfly and is often home. At birth, her pediatrician thought that she could have had jaundice butafter further test, they sisvovered that she was okay.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

Can you please tell what investigations have been done so far ?

Regards