Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am 67 i am a smoker, I Keep coughing up phlegm especially

Customer Question

My Name is ***** ***** am 67 i am a smoker, I Keep coughing up green phlegm especially after eating certain foods like cake biscuits especially chocolate, the phlegm is really thick and fills up a quarter of a small glass, I have had a virus for 4 days but the phlegm is constant after certain foods i mentioned. I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago with a small Hiatas Hernia i was perscribed Lansoprazole but i have not taken due to the many side effects i worried due to my Heart Tablets they might have complications, can you help
Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I get this phlegm constant on certain foods the virus made it worse
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now the production of significant amounts of discolored sputum could indicate that you have one of two problems. The first one is chronic bronchitis which is a condition in which the lining of the lungs is damaged to such an extent that it leads to increased production of sputum. This is a part of a COPD and this would be diagnosed on a clinical examination along with a chest xray as well as pulmonary function tests. The second possibility here is that of bronchiecstasis which is a condition in which there is permanent dilatation of the airways, the small ones, which leads to increased production of sputum. Both of these conditions are caused by chronic history of smoking. Now food products usually dont effect the production of sputum however they can in certain patients. The mucus production can be stopped inspite of the food products if the underlying cause is treated and that is why you need a chest xray along with possibly a CT scan of the chest to diagnose the underlying issue first. Once it is diagnosed iot can be treated with various medications, which can include drugs like NAC, carbocisteine among several others. These drugs work well to reduce the mucus production.

Now the hiatal hernia can also contribute to these problems and if lansoprazole has more side effects then you can use a drug which is safer like zantac or prilosec which can be helpful. If that isnt helpful then use rabeprazole.

Apart from this steam inhalation with oil of eucaplytus will be useful here as it will open up the air passages and help in removal of the excess mucus. Also keeping well hydrated will be helpful as well. The fact is that you need to get evaluated so a diagnosis can be made and once that is done you can be treated effectively. Quitting smoking is something which will go a long way in decreasing the production of mucus.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your reply Doctor im giving up smoking anyway so this sort of thing makes it certain i must stop, I did ask if i can take lansoprazole to reduce green phlegm if i am taking Heart Tablets, had a stent put in*****Georges all clear now. why would the doctor perscribe lansoprazole after they found a small hiatal hernia, i have not taken them since!

Sorry for the late reply biut i was offline.

YES you can take lansoprazole with your heart tablets in most cases as it will not cause a problem.

He prescribed the lansoprazole because in hiatal hernia, there is increased acidity which can lead to development of GERD which in turn leads to development of barretts esophagus which is a pre malignant condition. That is why it is recommended that you be started on lansoprazole or another drug from this group to prevent development of this issue.

Do you have any more questions?