Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had Robotic hysterectomy Dec. 2016, I was not told I would

Customer Question

Good Morning, my name is***** had Robotic hysterectomy Dec. 2016, I was not told I would experience any vaginal atrophy neither there was any need of vaginal procedure, I further saw a GWN physician for my yearly physical, upon attempt to obtain specimen for pap test, speculum was difficult to introduce in my vagina, this physician asked why was I so tight? I was really surprised of the question, she later instructed that I return to her office if I ever decide to have sex, or be married, she would help me. I returned home and personally examined my self with two fingers, and was really surprised, of the reduction in size of my vagina. I did not sign for any vagina reduction when I had my hysterectomy.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Normally I'm a healthy 68 year old female, only had one pregnancy, also decided to have hysterectomy after third opinion. Prior to having hysterectomy, in 2013 I star having evening spotting, I saw my regular gynecologist, my diagnosis was polyp, and further had D&C, 2014 after my yearly physical, I was informed that the polyp had return, I had 3 opinion before deciding to have a hysterectomy. Now my problem is vaginal atrophy, Why????, I'm a 30 years RN, The only thing I can guess is that an AP was performed on me with out my consent. Please help me with your opinion.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: My first post up visit, which was 4 weeks after my surgery, this surgeon very rudely shouted while I was leaving his office( in Spanish), " NADYA YA PUEDES TENER SEXO" (in English) "Nadya YOU CAN NOW HAVE SEX" I was surprised and ashamed of the way he shouted this, I returned and asked him why was he speaking this manner even though I had mentioned to him on my first visit that I have been abstinent for many years? he only smiled rudely. Now I'm beginning to put one+ one together, that something is abnormally wrong. So I will appreciate your opinion.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

vaginal atrophy will occur with time after menopause after your estrogen levels decline.

with a hysterectomy, the upper part of your vaginal can be made shorter as an upper vaginal cuff is made when your uterus is removed

vaginal estrogen creams and estrogen suppositories can add more estrogen to your vagina and help with vaginal atrophy

how old are you? 68 or 30?