Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I've been getting ache in my left arm it comes and goes, it

Customer Question

Hello I've been getting ache in my left arm it comes and goes, it sometimes wakes me up at night if I've been laying on my left side. On most times when it comes on I've also had belching with it, I have small leak in the mitral valve in my hart, this I have hart scan every three years the last one in September and was told nothing has changed,next one in three years I do not have to take any medication for this. This ache came on in November at the time I was carrying a heavy bag at airport but not sure if this is the cause, now getting concerned as ache came on when I walked quite fast up long flight of stairs but with this came belching as I had just had lunch. I'm not sure I should just assume this might be indegestion, I do not have ant chest pain or tightness in chest or out of breath. Hope u can advise.
JA: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: The cardiologist I see every three years said my arteries are pristine. My farther had heart attac when he was 41 years old, I was told I have not inherited heart problems from him, he was a heavy smoker and liked a drink I have never smoked , and I am teetotal. My blood pressure is normal and I don't have high colestrial.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

I am writing you the answer. It may take 5 minutes.

With almost no significant risk factors for heart disease, this pain is unlikely to be cardiac. This can be due to pinched nerves in the neck and myofascial trigger point. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease in neck causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Wish you a very happy, prosperous, healthy and safe new year 2017.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.