Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can pneumonia go away without antibiotics? Deep chest fluidy

Customer Question
Can pneumonia go away without...
Can pneumonia go away without antibiotics?
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: Deep chest fluidy cough, extreme fatigue and dizzyness
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: 5 days, but its getting better although the dizziness persists. I think because I became extremely dehydrated & haven't been eating. Also I haave had severe nausea
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No gall bladder & my lower back hurts like it has when I have had pancreatitis Thanks
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
1/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm Sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually pneumonia which is bacterial in nature will NOT go away without antibiotics as the problem in that case is a bacterial infection which needs antibiotics to be treated. This is extremely important as without antibiotics the bacterial infection will worsen over time, cause spread of teh infection to other organs or even cause formation of pus inside the chest cavity which will need drainage of the pus via a tube or via surgery. This is why if you have these symptoms you should be treated with antibiotics as soon as possible alongwith chest xrays as well. The lower back pain could be because of inflammation of teh covering of the lungs called pleura which can lead to accumulation of fluid in this region.

Only in cases of viral pneumonia are antibiotics not needed but even in those cases, supportive management is required. But your symptoms are persistent and the back pain alongwith the productive cough is concerning and i would STRONGLY recommend a visit to your doctors office.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor