Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My wife and I think we got food poising. Both went out to

Customer Question

My wife and I think we got food poising. Both went out to eat. Came home and started throwing up and liquid diareha since 8:00. It's been 6 hours of constant pain.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Started 6 hours ago. came on fast. lying very still is the only thing that kinda helps, but not for long.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, we are both healthy 51
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your question.

Can you tell me pulse rate and temperature for both of you?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No sir, but sometimes we are burning up after vomating, and sometimes freezing
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for your reply.

This does seem like food poisoning.

The most important thing here is that you keep yourself well hydrated.

As you are loosing fluids and salts from both vomiting and diarrhea you need to replenish them with small amounts of fluids at regular intervals.You may use oral rehydration solution if avaialble with you or you may also take gatorade or pedialyte to replenish fluids and salts.

If at any time signs of dehydration are apparent like dry mucus membranes, dizziness, extreme thirst or if you develop fever above 101 degrees, or if you are unable to keep anything down whole of the day you should get into ER as in that case IV fluids may need to be administered.

Please reply for any clarification.