Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Elevated liver enzymes caused by one month of over drinking.

Customer Question

elevated liver enzymes caused by one month of over drinking. I've stopped drinking,will the level go back to normal on its own?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have had blood work done, that's how it was discovered, I had routine blood work done 2 months ago and all was good. I'm not on any type of med.
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: excellent, and I feel very good
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nothing, I never get sick and I follow a very healthy diet. This was cuased by a month of "self medicating" due to a job loss.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your elevated liver enzymes. Can i ask how high were they? Do you have the report with you?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well usually damage caused by drinking too much alcohol would settle on its own PROVIDED the damage done was not extensive in nature. Mild elevations in the liver enzymes usually would go down over a period of time which can range from 1 - 6 months depending on the extent of damage. If however the liver was extensively damaged, then it can take longer to recover and in some cases there may be no recovery at all. In some situations, this can change into chronic liver disease. However the latter scenario of it changing into chronic liver damage is less likely in your case as you have described that you only drank too much for one month and if the liver enzymes were mildly to moderatly elevated then abstaining from alcohol altogether for some time should be able to normalize the enzymes. Elevations in ALT of about 400-500 may improve over a period of 3 - 4 months in most cases.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.