Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have had a hysterectomy about 3 weeks ago and while in

Customer Question

HI I have had a hysterectomy about 3 weeks ago and while in hospital got an ileus, I was in hospital for 17 days before being discharged. It has been 2 weeks now that I have been home and every time I eat my stomach swells and I can not eat or drink, it hurts when I urinate and I feel so lethargic could my ileus be back
JA: How long have you been in pain? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: No vomiting just a little nausea
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a type 2 diabetic with a complicated history of insulin allergy
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask do you have any change in the color of your urine? Any dizziness on standing up? What is your age?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

First off it is possible for your ileus to have returned IF you also have constipation alongwith abdominal distension. Ileus can develop due to a number of reasons which can include even simple things like electrolyte imbalance. Potassium deficiency is a common cause of ileus as well and it can be easily diagnosed in most cases. The treatment is potassium replacement.

Now another thing which has me concerned is the pain while urinating, that is not a normal symptom to experience during the recovery process for hysterectomy. That usually indicates that either you are severely dehydrated or you have developed an infection of the urinary tract and given your recent hospital stay it is very likely that you have developed a UTI. This can be diagnosed easily with the help of a simple urine analysis, urine culture and then treated with antibiotics. You can develop a UTI even if you are on antibiotics as in that case you can have a fungal infection.

The swelling of the stomach can be due to a condition known as autonomic neuropathy. This is a condition in which the autonomic nervous system of teh body can be damaged because of long standing diabetes. Sometimes it can be triggered by a stressful event like a surgery and you could experience the symptoms. The abdominal fullness or even swelling can occur because of this, dizziness on standing up and changing posture is common. This can be diagnosed on a clinical examination and then treated with various measures including drugs like midodrine in some cases.

But if you have constipation as well as abdominal distension then it would be wise to get another xray done to rule out ileus to start with. At the same time i would also like a thyroid disorder to be ruled out as again a surgery like this can unmask an underlying thyroid condition, a simple thyroid function test would be diagnostic.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating