Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My daughter just found out the week of Thanksgiving that she

Customer Question

My daughter just found out the week of Thanksgiving that she was pregnant. She isn't exactly sure when the first day of her last period was but she knows she was on her period halloween day. She had her first Ob appointment yesterday and he did a transvaginal ultrasound. By his calculations she should be about 9 wks but in the ultrasound they're are two sacks. One looks to be empty and the other has a fetus inside that measures about 7wks. But he could not find a heartbeat on the fetus. Is it possible that she isn't as far a long as we thought and that its just too early to hear the heartbeat yet?
JA: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?
Customer: no. no pain and pretty much like clockwork....
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No not that I know of .... she is only 16 and about 2 wks ago she experienced a severe amount of stress. Some people say this can cause problems when pregnant but Im not sure.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

yes, it could still very well be a few weeks too early to find the heart beat, especially with two sacs in the womb.

she should get her ultrasound rechecked in a few weeks

hopefully she can destress some and take some more time for herself.

why is she so stressed?