Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

My son is 52 yrs old and a haul truck driver. He called and

Customer Question

My son is 52 yrs old and a long haul truck driver. He called and told me he had severe pain across the top of his right foot. He had eaten a lot of fish the night before and does not have the greatest eating habits....lots of red meat and potatoes and very few fruits and vegetables. He said he looked it up and it was either gout (which he already has in his big toe) or osteoarthritis. Is there anything he can do for the pain?
JA: What about weight? Is it in a healthy range?
Customer: No, I don't believe so. He is about 5'7" and weighs 185 or so. He has a large stomach and is out of shape.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He smoked a lot of pot until he started truck driving a few years ago and still drinks occasionally. He gets no exercise except for his job.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 6 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

Has he taken any pain relieving medications? Did they help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just inbuprophen.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your reply.

Basically this is likely to be due to gout in view of his history and gout can cause pain in the large joint of the big toe and can also occur in the feet and ankles. To relieve the pain, in addition to Ibuprofen he may take colchicine which will relieve the gout pain.

In addition to this acute treatment to relive the pain, his doctor can prescribe medications if these pain attacks are frequent so that these medication will prevent gout complications and future gout attacks and pain. He needs to take the medication daily to prevent a gout attack from occurring.

So at present ask him to discuss regarding colchicine medication with his doctor and also to discuss whether he requires preventive medications.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work. Also a bonus will be appreciated.

If you have follow-up questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will credit the expert after we try what he suggested. Thank you.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

You may rate the answer with 5 star rating by clicking the stars with your mouse, whenever you are satisfied with the answer.

Take care.