Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My coloniscopy will be on tuesday, will it help me to be on

Customer Question

My coloniscopy will be on tuesday, will it help me to be on a liquid diet the day before? I had several colonoscopies before, and i have at least 7 to 8 hours going to the bathroom, is that normal, that long?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking? Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: The 7 to 8 hours is only when i do my prep for my colonoscopy. Otherwise i have regular and good bowel movement. Once a day, every day. What is average, for going to the bathroom, timewise, prepping for the colonoscopy?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Well when preparing for a colonoscopy it is recommended to be on a liquid diet for atleast 24 hours before the procedure. It is infact recommended to use clear fluids only on the day before the colonoscopy. Secondly the prepping medication that you are given for use before the procedure is a laxative and it is perfectly NORMAL to have this many bowel movements. Most patients will experience anywhere between 6-12 bowel movements which are liquid in nature. This is normal. Now the dosing for the medication can differ from one hospital to another. The preferred method is known as split dosing. You take half the prep the night before the procedure and the other half about six hours before it. It may clean the colon more thoroughly compared to taking all the prep the day before the procedure.

But you should stick to the method described by your doctor as some physicians prefer telling teh patient to use the whole dose the day before.

In short YES you should be ona liquid diet the day before and YES it is normal to experience these many bowel movements. The diet on the day before the procedure should consist of only clear liquids like clear broth or bouillon, black coffee or tea, clear juice (apple, white grape), clear soft drinks or sports drinks, Jell-O, popsicles, etc.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/