Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a friend who has burning and sore feet and calves and

Customer Question

I have a friend who has burning and sore feet and calves and sometimes her arms and she has been tested for diabetes and its negative and it started in her left knee when she was moving stuff and her knee popped any suggested solutions
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: its been 3 months and she has been to a doctor and emergency room and was told they cant do anything for her
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she had a massive heart attack and has to stints since 2011
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Can i ask does your friend have any changes in color of the limbs? Any numbness or any pain? Also what is her age?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response which we can discuss later on.

From your description there are a few possibilities which can cause this sort of problem in your friend. The first thing which comes to mind is that she could have developed peripheral neuropathy in which the nerves of the limbs can be damaged. Now most people associate neuropathy with diabetes but diabetes is NOT the only cause for neuropathy, it is a common cause but not the only cause. There are hundreds of causes including vitamin B12 deficiency, toxin exposure, infections, autoimmune conditions, thyroid conditions, endocrine problems like adrenal issues among several others. it can be diagnosed with the help of a simple NCS/EMG test which checks the nerves directly. once diagnosed the treatment is of the underlying cause along with simple medications like lyrica or neurontin.

Another cause of these symptoms could be associated with peripheral arterial disease. This is a condition in which there is narrowing of the arteries of the limbs because of deposition of cholesterol and other debris. This can cause burning, numbness, tingling, changes in color to pale or blue, pain in the limbs as well as swelling in some cases. The diagnosis is made with the help of a simple doppler ultrasound of the limbs and once diagnosed the treatment can be with medication or even with stents in severe cases.

Another cause can be associated with metabolic issues, such as electrolyte imbalances such as calcium and magensium related deficiencies. In addition problems like thyroid disorders can also cause this problem as well.

In short there are several causes for this sort of issue and ideally she should see an internist who can evaluate her, do a clinical examination and then run the above tests to reach a final diagnosis. I think it is possible that she has peripheral neuropathy.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/