Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I'm experiencing pain when I breath in on my right middle

Customer Question

I'm experiencing pain when I breath in on my right middle abdomen I'm 66 should I be concerned?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Three days now. I haven't taken anything for the pain because it only hurts when I take a deep breath.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a small cyst on my liver and had and had gallbladder surgery two months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for the question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. can i ask was the gallbladder removed in the surgery or was it another type of gallbladder surgery? Also do you have tenderness in this area that is do you have pain when you press down on the abdomen? Lastly any urinary or bowel complaints like diarrhea or increased frequency of urination etc?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Now pain in this region can be due to a number of conditions. Since the pain ONLY occurs on breathing, then it is very likely that this is related to the muscles of the abdomen more than anything else. This would cause pain on deep inspiration and would sometimes also cause pain if you do a twisting movement. This would be easily diagnosed on a clinical examination. The treatment is usually with increased intake of water and also with the intake of electrolyte rich fluids. If that does not work then you would need anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or aleve. In some cases muscle relaxants may be needed like flexeril or even tinazidine.

Now apart from the muscles, it is possible that this is arising from the region of the gallbladder. If you gallbladder was removed, it is possible that the common bile duct or the portion of teh CBD which is left behind is inflammed which is causing pain when the diaphragm touches it on deep inspiration. This would also cause pain in the region on palpation and may also cause other symptoms such as radiation of the pain to the back and in long standing cases, yellow discoloration of the skin and sclera and change in color of stool and urine. This can be diagnosed on a clinical examination and also with an ultrasound. The treatment depends on the nature of the inflammation for example an infection is treated with antibiotics and obstruction is treated with stents etc.

But given the pattern of the pain, i think this is more muscular in nature than anything. I would suggest adequate hydration and use of electrolyte rich fluids along with OTC anti inflammatory agents like motrin or aleve should be able to control the pain. if that doesnt help then muscle relaxants may be needed like flexeril.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/