Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have a large hematoma in my upper thigh resulting from a

Customer Question
minor injury)I do bruise easily...
I have a large hematoma in my upper thigh resulting from a minor injury)I do bruise easily however). How do I treat it at home?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Have not seen a doc, they are off for the weekend. Taking, Coreg, thyroid, crestor, aspirin, tyelenol, dexilant, lasix as needed, cranberry extract,. /
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Coreg, Crestor, tylenol, lexapro, thyroid. NKA
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Had hematoma one other time from a fall. treated but not drained. it seemed to bleed down and them subside but took a long time. had lap-chole last yr. cystectomy for bladder CA 2009. Chemo 2008.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/23/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can you attach a picture of the hematoma here? as that will give me a better idea of how large it is. Also does it seem like that the hematoma is expanding or increasing in size? Any pain?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

There are some things that you can do at home to help heal the hematoma. This can include the following,

1) First you need to stop using drugs which can worsen the bleeding. Aspirin can cause the bleeding to worsen and if it is not being used for anything which is life threatening then it can be withheld for a couple of days. But be sure that it is not being used for preventing a serious issue.

2) Rest the affected area as much as possible. Muscle activity and movement can irritate and increase the pressure on the soft tissues which can trigger an inflammatory response. Maintain relative rest for the first 48 hours if at all possible.

3) Apply ice on the area for 10-15 minutes at a time for upto 2-4 times a day. This should be done within the first 48 hours of the injury as it will decrease blood flow to the region and decrease the bleeding.

4) After the 48 hour period you can start using heat to help reabsorption of the blood which is present in the tissues. The same principle applies here as heat will open up the blood vessels and help move the static blood back into the circulation

5) Mild massage on the area will actually help. This should be gentle in nature and use long strokes ideally in an upward direction to help move blood up.

6) Keep the thigh elevated as much as possible to help with circulation

7) use a high protein diet as well.

8) Also start using vitamin B12 supplements as well which would be helpful in this situation.

9) Use vitamin C supplements

10) Drink plenty of water

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor