Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had a chest, caugh and runny nose cold for over two…

Customer Question
I have had a...

I have had a chest, caugh and runny nose cold for over two weeks. I feel very tired even when I have had 8 hours of sleep, like last night. I just woke up from a 1 1/2 hour nape still tired and sour eyes. I have had both the numonia shots. I have taken NyQual and Oil of Oreganol for four days.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Are you having any breathing problems?

A good two weeks. No breathing problems but I still have chest pains. I am 82 years old but otherwise in good health and a lot of enegy usually.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My Mother had TB when I was maybe 3, 4, or 5 years old.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
12/18/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask is the cough producing any phlegm? if so what color is it? Also any fever? Night sweats?

Since you seem tio be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on.

Well there area few possibilities here which we can consider, the first one being a severe viral infection which is causing all of these symptoms. Certain viral illnesses can last for as long as 4 weeks and would cause the fatigue that you are feeling as well as the other symptoms. In these situations the best solution is to continue to rest as much as your can, increase fluid intake, use OTC allegra, claritin or zyrtec as well as tylenol. This would help however after two weeks a clinical examination and a xray is necessary at your local doctors office.

Now another cause of this problem can be atypical pneumonia. This is a form of pneumonia in which you would NOT get the classical symptoms and you can get this EVEN if you have had the two pneumonia shots. These organisms cause pneumonia which may not even produce any fever. This would need to be diagnosed on a simple chest xray and blood work and then treated with special antibiotics. This can occur in patients above the age of 65 years especially if they have a pre existing viral infection affecting the lungs, in that situation the atypical infection is superimposed. The chest pains can be due to this as well. Now another possibility is that you could have developed mild fluid inside the lungs or rather inside teh pleura which can be causing the pains as well. This would be diagnosed on the chest xray as well.

Now since this illness has been running for almost two weeks, you should get evaluated at your doctors office and get a chest xray just in case as this can get complicated very soon. In the meantime use the measures which i described above but DO see your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.