Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have gout in my right toe. I do not eat red meat consume

Customer Question
light alcohol.. What should I...
I have gout in my right toe. I do not eat red meat consume light alcohol.. What should I do. This is the 2nd time in a month
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?
Customer: 2days and no better
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Father had gout in shoulder.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
12/3/2016
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask are you on any medications for gout or for any other condition? Also when did you last have your uric acid levels done?

I am on Atorvastatin 40mg and low dose aspirin. As far as uric acids levels not sure.

Thanks for the additional information.

Well from what you are describing it sounds like that there needs to be a major readjustment in your diet. Gout is not prevented by only avoiding red meat infact it will need a complete overhaul of what you eat. There are a number of food products which can cause acute attacks of gout and given that you are having these frequently, you will need to look into this first of all. Ill leave a few links at the end which may help you in this regard.

Now secondly for now due to teh acute attack you will need to be started on drugs to abort this acute attack. This will be in the form of simple NSAIDs like indomethacin, until you get into to see the doctor then you will need to use OTC motrin or aleve which will help in managing the pain. If that does not help then you can be started on other drugs by your physic***** *****ke colcichine which is an excellent drug to manage acute attacks. If that does not hep then steroids can be used.

Now once the acute attack is over then you can be started on a drug which will actually reduce the uric acid levels in your body thus reducing the frequency of these ttacks. i would recommend that you get the levels done first and then get started on allopurinol. This will help prevent further attacks.

So in short the strategy would be to alter your diet, use NSAIDs for the acute attack and then get your levels done and get started on allopurinol. here are the links i talked about,

Link 1

Link 2

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you.

Is there anything you would like help with?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor