Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

My daughter has been sick for two weeks. My husband took her

Customer Question

My daughter has been sick for two weeks. My husband took her to the doctor today and saw a NP. They came home with a script for Cetirizine. They said she had white spots on her throat but did not test positive for strep. She has not gotten better even after 5 days off of school for the holidays. She is in a musical this weekend (she is one of the Von trapp children in the Sound of Music) 5 performances between Thursday and Sunday. She has worked so hard and is very upset that her voice (hoarse, coughing, sneezing etc.) is going to effect her performance. I am not at all an antibiotic pusher, my daughter is 11 and probably hasn't had an anitbiotics since she was a toddler. But she just doesn't seem to be getting over this at all, which is very unlike her. I'm wondering do I insist she see the doctor? I am afraid we are missing something here. My husband has no idea why they gave her this med which appears to be for allergies, which she has never had. He also said they are running another test that we will now the results of tomorrow but he didn't know what it was for. I'm just at a loss for how to proceed. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the skin issue better or worse?
Customer: She has been ill for 2 weeks. Not sure what skin issue you are referring to.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, she is otherwise healthy. usually gets over colds and flu's quickly. She did get a flu shot a couple of days before she started getting sick.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

that is good she didn't have strep throat.

your daughter most likely has a viral infection or bad allergies

she should gargle with salt water and take some honey and extra vitamin C and chicken soup and get more sleep and try the cetirizine

she can also try benadryl at night time as well to help her sleep.

she should be better in a few days.