Aleksandra Frye
Aleksandra Frye,
Experience:  Physician at Workwell Medical Group
96930917

Wife had last period 10/23 and is now pregnant. hCG levels

Wife had last period 10/23 and is now pregnant. hCG levels show 100 @ 11/17; [email protected]/20; 700 @ 11/23; 2600 @ 11/28. Please advise if hCG are normal or within bounds, and provide qualitative and quantitative evaluation of counts. Ideally you can tell us that we are in a certain percentile of normal, and what our likely risks and possible outcomes for this pregnancy are. Thank you very much.

Hello, my name is***** I am Board Certified with 17 years of experience, and I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question. :)

I apologize for the delay, I was locked out of your question for 20 minutes :(

The hCG levels are normal, I am adding a photo with the table which shows the levels per week of pregnancy. They are more than doubling, which is a great sign as well. Here is some more information about the numbers, as they cannot really be used to predict the pregnancy outcome, but so far it is looking great!!!

1. As you get further along in pregnancy and the hCG level gets higher, the time it takes to double can increase to about every 96 hours.
  2. Caution must be used in making too much of hCG numbers. A normal pregnancy may have low hCG levels and result in a perfectly healthy baby. The results from an ultrasound after 5 -6 weeks gestation are much more accurate than using hCG numbers.
  3. An hCG level of less than 5mIU/ml is considered negative for pregnancy, and anything above 25mIU/ml is considered positive for pregnancy.
  4. The hCG hormone is measured in milli-international units per milliliter (mIU/ml).
  5. A transvaginal ultrasound should be able to show at least a gestational sac once the hCG levels have reached between 1,000 – 2,000mIU/ml. Because levels can differentiate so much and conception dating can be wrong, a diagnosis should not be made by ultrasound findings until the hCG level has reached at least 2,000.
  6. A single hCG reading is not enough information for most diagnoses. When there is a question regarding the health of the pregnancy, multiple testings of hCG done a couple of days apart give a more accurate assessment of the situation.
  7. The hCG levels should not be used to date a pregnancy since these numbers can vary so widely.
  8. There are two common types of hCG tests. A qualitativehCG test detects if hCG is present in the blood. A quantitative hCG test (or beta hCG) measures the amount of hCG actually present in the blood.

Please let me know if I can further assist you and if you are satisfied with my answer, please give a 5 star rating (we do not get reimbursed without a positive rating). If not, I am happy to answer your question further! Thank you so very much and see you again soon! For future questions you may contact me at this web site: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-frye/

Hello, this is Dr. Frye from Just Answers and I am wondering if you still needs help with your question? Thank you very much!