Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

I have been on Cephalexin capsules 500 mg. for the last

Customer Question

I have been on Cephalexin capsules 500 mg. for the last seven days since coming out of hospital being treated for Diverticulitis. I am feeling okay apart from my mouth is very red and feels odd and seem to be getting ulcerated. Inside my lips feel puffy a bit but have not swollen up massively. I intend to go to doctor tomorrow but was reading the pamphlet side effects in the capsule box is making me concerned about how serious this is. Will I be alright to wait till tomorrow until I see my GP - I have had tonight,s tablet. Thanking you in anticipation, Cheryl
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I am on Karvea 150g for blood pressure, and Nexium 20g. I would like to take a Diazepam (Valium) tonight which I take when I get stressed - would that be ok? I am allergic to Coversyl, and another antibiotic which I can't remember the name of at present.- I was put on a course of 3 different antibiotics in hospital interveinously, then given Cephalexin tablets to take for 10 days - I have 3 days left to go. Cheryl
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Why minimize, it just disappears
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, don't think so. Have some Reflux but that is why I take Nexium.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your question.

Ulcers in the mouth or on the lips is a rare adverse effect of this medication and this is not an allergic reaction. You have been taking this medication for 7 days now without any allergic reactions. These allergic reactions most commonly occur after the first few doses and can be dangerous. Since you did not have any allergic reaction, you are not allergic to this medication. However you are clearly having a side effect of the medication. But this is not something which is dangerous and will not cause any serious complication. You will be alright and can see your GP tomorrow. However if possible I would recommend calling him/her and informing your GP about this adverse effect that you are having. Also make sure that you drink lots of fluids. You may use a straw to drink since this will avoid the liquids touching the mouth ulcers. Also avoid hot and spicy foods as well. You may do a saline mouth wash by dissolving half a teaspoon of salt in a glassful of warm water, and then swish the salt water around your mouth and spit it out. This may be soothing and can be done a few times daily.

Take care.

It is a privilege answering your question.

Thank you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating of 5 stars, because this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for our time and work.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

May you be happy, successful, and healthy.

Only if you develop additional symptoms such as a rash, or itching, or shortness of breath, or difficulty in swallowing then I would recommend going to the emergency.