Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

May I ask for medical advise due to an injury... AUG 27/16-

Customer Question

may I ask for medical advise due to an injury... AUG 27/16- I fell down and broke my wrist.. Above the arm knuckles and between the hand my hand was basically separated from my wrist and the skin was not punctured... it was pinned back together and I have a temporary gauze wrapped cast on with metal supporting my left hand above and below the wrist... I do have movement of my fingers and thumb..but this cast is getting loose... right now I am without a family physician and would like to know if I can have this gauze cast cut off, as long as I can wrap it with a tensor bandage for support... thank you
JA: How long have you been dealing with the skin issue? Have you noticed any major changes in your overall skin or nails recently?
Customer: yes my skin under the gauze is itchy ..my fingers are exposed and are loosing lots of dry dead skin ...this gauze type of cast has been on for 3 months since Aug-27/16 can I remove it as I am getting a bad smell as well
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: nothing else out of context
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

The cast is removed about 6 weeks after the fracture happened. At that point, physical therapy is often started to help improve the motion and function of the injured wrist.

why are you without a primary care doctor

you need to follow up with your hand ortho doctor and get an xray of your wrist and see how well you have healed up.