Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had hip replacement in 2013 that went bad. 2 more

Customer Question

i had hip replacement in 2013 that went bad. 2 more surgeries, blood clots and infection. in nmarch of this year a abcess burst thru the hip/ 2 eeks ago a string guaze was pulleds out of the abcess that was left from surgery. did that cause the abcess
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 8 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, the goal is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do not see an answer to my question "i had hip replacement in 2013 that went...
i had hip replacement in 2013 that went bad. 2 more surgeries, blood clots and infection. in nmarch of this year a abcess burst thru the hip/ 2 eeks ago a string guaze was pulleds out of the abcess that was left from surgery. did that cause the abscess"

Hi there, no worries.. It may be helpful to think of an abscess kind of like a tennis ball of tissue under the top layers of skin. Outside the tennis ball, the body has walled off that space from the rest of the body, and inside is the body's immune system cells fighting bacteria.

Gauze placed inside an OR is sterile, meaning there is no bacteria there. So, "no" the gauze isn't what caused your abscess. The bacteria is much much more likely to have come from some other source. Perhaps an infection in the old hip that was removed, is that possible?