Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What is Sciatica

Customer Question

What is Sciatica
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What can you do about it ?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 10 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love and I will be assisting you today.

Sciatica refers to a particular pattern of pain that occurs because the underlying condition is affecting some or all of the sciatic nerve. The sciatic nerves are the largest nerve that serves the lower extremities (one on each side). The sciatic nerve forms in the lower back and then supplies the back of the thigh and the entire leg below the knee.

Sciatica is a pattern of pain that starts in the lower back and then radiates down the buttocks and back of the thigh and may also extend to the lower leg or foot.

There are multiple conditions that can cause sciatica, although the most common is a herniated disc that is pressing on one of the spinal nerves that form the sciatic nerve. However, any musculoskeletal problem in the lower spine or the muscles of the lower back can cause sciatica, such as compression fractures or muscle spasm.

What can be done about it would depend upon the underlying cause. Further evaluation would be necessary to determine the underlying cause. If it is a herniated disc, then pain medicines, anti-inflammatory medicines, and physical therapy are usually the first treatments, although it also may be necessary to consider spine injections or other procedures to relieve pressure on the nerve.

Is there any other information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you -- I will make an appointment with my Doctor.

You are very welcome.