Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My wife had her left hip replaced about 3 weeks ago. She was

Customer Question

My wife had her left hip replaced about 3 weeks ago. She was in the hospital for 3 days and they had her blood clot contro (not sure of the name) then we drove home (6 hrs with 2 walking stops). She stayed an extra day at the hospital because her BP was low 90-100/50 and her temperature started up 102 and she got dizzy standing up. They prescribed two 350 aspirin a day and tylynol for clot control and fever she continued to feel dizzy and developed a significant headache. She has been drinking more water than normal-about3 liters a day. The primary doctor here at home thought it was a sinus infection bs prescribed an antibiotic. The symptoms didn't abate (antibiotic stopped) and she sent back to the doctor who asked for d-dilmer test came back 5000 with 200 being normal then prescribed a doppler scan and clot discovered in her left left calf near knee.
The primary prescribed Xerallto (?).Still dizzy and low BP in the AM-Question could the dizziness be caused by the blood clot. It is critical because the dizziness is keeping her from walking .
Thanks BOB
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

if she developed a blood clot in the calf and has new symptoms of dizziness, she needs a scan of the brain to check for blood clots spread to the brain which can cause new neurological symptoms.

she should try medications like meclizine or antivert or dramamine which could help her dizziness symptoms

her doctors should also check her ears to check for infection in the inner ear.