How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 45957
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

83 yr old female with hx of gastro problems; pain, bloating,

Customer Question

83 yr old female with hx of gastro problems; pain, bloating, diarrhea, hpspitalized x 3 in 3 weeks. Diagnosed Diverticulitis but not getting much better. Continues in pain, lower abdomin, nausea; surgeon wont operate, they feel she will go into kidney failure. She is not diabetic, hx of obesity but has lost weight due to not being able to eat much in last 8 months. Any recommendations, or suggestions, Need good Gi and surgeon to talk to on Northeast coast.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

has she been treated with antibiotics and IV fluids?

has she had a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis?

is she having regular bowel movements?

any constipation or diarrhea?

has her stool been tested for infections?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She has been on IV ABT, I believe, Zithromax?, also I saw KCL hung, her legs are swelling a lot. They did a CT scan, didnt see anything, but they are repeating it tomorrow, She is having BMs but they are soft. Dont remember if they checked her for C-Dif but I certainly thought they would have. My sister is closer and has been to the hospital. Im working more than her so I get this secondhand. They had infectious disease doctor Saturday, and he seemed positive, and for her to just get surgery and she'd be better. She seemed in decent enough health. But now Surgeon said different? We feel we need to see another GI specialist and Surgeon to get another opinion. dont know who to go to?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 8 months ago.

usually cipro and flagyl (metronidazole) are antibiotics used to treat diverticulosis infection.

c diff would tend to cause watery diarrhea.

you can ask the infectious disease doctor to see if there is another surgery group with other doctors who could see her in the hospital

some hospitals have multiple surgery groups working there.

some hospitals only have one surgery groups or a limited number of surgeons.

so it depends on the hospital

if there is only one surgery group, she may have to be transferred to another larger university hospital to see other surgeons who could assess her for surgery.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using