Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Basil cell caras. if not treated what happens. My dermato

Customer Question
basil cell caras. if...
basil cell caras. if not treated what happens
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes My dermato (?) need to be removed my a Mohls DR ?
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
11/16/2016
Doctor: Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations. Do you mean Basal Cell Carcinoma?

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified? There is no difference in charges for your preference. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Basal Cell carcinoma is a very serious form of cancer that can be life threatening. The Mohs surgery can save your life.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
summary

I see. ok.

What Is It?

Basal cell cancer is the most common form of skin cancer diagnosed in the United States.

Basal cells are small, round skin cells normally found in the upper part of your skin. When these cells become cancerous, they grow out of control. Basal cell tumors rarely spread or cause death. But cancerous basal cells usually turn into small skin tumors that can destroy skin and nearby tissues. They can grow large over time, causing damage around and under them.

Basal cell cancer can grow on any part of the body. However, most basal cell cancers are found on some part of the face. This can cause disfigurement, and can interfere with the function of the eyelids, nose, and mouth.

Basal cell cancer often develops because of repeated, long-term exposure to the sun. People with light skin and blue eyes are at particularly high risk. Less often, basal cell cancer may be caused by exposure to arsenic or certain industrial pollutants. Older people who received X-ray treatment for acne as teenagers are at higher risk of developing basal cell cancer.

Symptoms

Basal cell skin cancer usually appears as a tiny, painless bump with a pink, pearly surface. As the cancer slowly grows, the center of the bump may become sore and develop into a crater that bleeds, crusts, or forms a scab.

Although it is commonly located on the face, basal cell cancer can develop on the ears, back, neck and other skin surfaces frequently exposed to the sun.

Diagnosis

Your doctor will examine your skin. He or she will do a biopsy, which involves removing skin so it can be examined in a laboratory. The doctor may remove some, or all, of the abnormal skin for the biopsy.

Expected Duration

Once a basal cell cancer develops on the skin, it usually grows slowly. It can become very large, especially if it is on your lower back, the back of your shoulder or some other area that you do not usually see in the mirror.

Prevention

Unprotected exposure to sunlight increases your risk of developing basal cell cancer. You can help to reduce this risk in several ways:

• Apply sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 30 or higher before you go outdoors.

• Limit your time outdoors when the sun is at its peak (in most parts of the United States, from about 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.).

• Wear sunglasses with ultraviolet light protection.

• Wear long pants, a shirt with long sleeves and a hat with a wide brim.

• Be aware that some drugs may increase your skin’s risk of damage from the sun. These include certain antibiotics, and drugs used to treat psychiatric illness, high blood pressure, heart failure, acne and allergies. If you take prescription medications, ask your doctor if you need to take extra precautions to limit sun exposure.

• Be aware that some skin care products can make your skin more vulnerable to damage from sunlight. These include products containing alpha-hydroxy acids.

If a basal cell cancer develops on your skin, early detection may limit damage. Examine your skin thoroughly every one to two months. Use a mirror to check your skin on less visible areas, such as your back, shoulders, upper arms, buttocks and the soles of your feet. Have a yearly skin exam by your physician.

Treatment

Treatments for basal cell cancer include:

• Curettage and electrodessication. A sharp instrument scrapes away visible cancer. Then an electric probe kills remaining microscopic cancer cells.

• Excision. Visible cancer and some healthy tissue is cut away, then the skin is stitched closed.

• Cryosurgery. Cancerous cells are frozen with liquid nitrogen.

• Laser therapy. A laser beam is used to destroy the cancer.

• Radiation. High energy rays are used to destroy the cancer.

• Moh’s micrographic surgery. The tumor is shaved away in thin layers. Each layer is checked under a microscope to see if it contains cancerous cells. This procedure preserves as much healthy skin as possible while making sure that all of the cancer is removed.

Less common or experimental therapies include:

• Topical fluorouracil, an anticancer drug applied directly to the skin

• Topical imiquimod cream (Aldara) for very superficial basal cell skin cancers

• Chemotherapy injected directly into the tumor

• Photodynamic therapy, which kills cancer with chemicals and light

Determining the right treatment depends on many factors, including:

• The size and location of the cancer

• Whether it has returned after previous treatment

• Age

• A patient’s general health.

Once treatment is finished and the cancer is gone, the doctor will schedule regular follow up skin examinations. Once you have been diagnosed with basal cell cancer, you are at higher risk to develop another basal cell cancer.

Risk factors

Factors that increase your risk of basal cell carcinoma include:

• Chronic sun exposure. A lot of time spent in the sun — or in commercial tanning booths — increases the risk of basal cell carcinoma. The threat is greater if you live in a sunny or high-altitude location, both of which expose you to more UV radiation. Severe sunburn, especially during childhood or adolescence, also increases your risk.
  • Radiation therapy. Radiation therapy to treat psoriasis, acne or other skin conditions may increase the risk of basal cell carcinoma at previous treatment sites on the skin.
  • Fair skin. The risk of basal cell carcinoma is higher among people who freckle or burn easily or who have very light skin, red or blond hair, or light-colored eyes.
  • Your sex. Men are more likely to develop basal cell carcinoma than women.
  • Your age. Because basal cell carcinoma often takes decades to develop, the majority of basal cell carcinomas occur after age 50.
  • A personal or family history of skin cancer. If you've had basal cell carcinoma one or more times, you have a good chance of developing it again. If you have a family history of skin cancer, you may have an increased risk of developing basal cell carcinoma.
  • Immune-suppressing drugs. Taking medications that suppress your immune system, especially after transplant surgery, significantly increases your risk of skin cancer. Basal cell carcinoma that develops in people taking immune-suppressing drugs may be more likely to recur or spread to other parts of the body.
  • Exposure to arsenic. Arsenic, a toxic metal that's found widely in the environment, increases the risk of basal cell carcinoma and other cancers. Everyone has some arsenic exposure because it occurs naturally in the soil, air and groundwater. But people who may be exposed to higher levels of arsenic include farmers, refinery workers, and people who drink contaminated well water or live near smelting plants.
  • Inherited syndromes that cause skin cancer. Certain rare genetic diseases often result in basal cell carcinoma. Nevoid basal cell carcinoma syndrome (Gorlin-Goltz syndrome) causes numerous basal cell carcinomas, as well as disorders of the skin, bones, nervous system, eyes and endocrine glands. Xeroderma pigmentosum causes an extreme sensitivity to sunlight and a high risk of skin cancer because people with this condition have little or no ability to repair damage to the skin from ultraviolet light.

Do you have any follow up questions before we end the answer to your question about Basal Cell Carcinoma? Your Satisfaction is my priority. I would appreciate a moment of your time to leave a 5-star rating if you feel like I’ve met your goal for now. A good rating is free for you, and will ensure that you can contact me if followup is needed. Here is my direct link: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/ Thank you!

Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Board Certified Physician