How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 46927
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there anything I can take or buy to stop coughing? I have

Customer Question

Is there anything I can take or buy to stop coughing? I have no health insurance so can't really afford to go to the doctor. But I have been coughing non stop for a week
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: I have been coughing for 10 days and today my nose and ears are both hurting along with the base of my neck.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

how old are you?

do you smoke?

have you tried mucinex, robitussin, delsym cough medications over the counter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm 27 yes I smoke and I have tried everything over the counter! I've even tried the old wives tale to put Vicks on my feet and sleep with my socks. Today my ears are even hurting
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

you need to stop smoking

you have to go see a doctor and get a chest CT scan or xray

and sputum culture

you may need a course of antibitoics

we can't give out prescriptions for antibiotics online to clients we can't see and examine.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yeah, I have no health insurance so I may just have to suffer a little while longer. Thank you for your advice though
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

you can see a doctor at a free health clinic

or you can go see a doctor at a university medical center

they treat patients there with no insurance

you should apply for medicaid or for medical insurance.

you don't want to suffer which can allow this potential lung infection to get worse which could eventually land you in the hospital if you don't get it treated earlier.