Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

Can prednisone cause shortness of breath? seen

Customer Question

can prednisone cause shortness of breath?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: seen rheumatologist and taking 4 mg of prednisone per day, two in a m two at night
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: no allergies, take blood pressure medicine
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: had urinary tract infecttion
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of “Shortness of breath while on prednisone” you have mentioned here and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

Please see steroid medications like prednisone can cause breathlessness but it is a very rare side effect of this medication

If you see the breathlessness started after starting prednisone then it is a possibility, especially if you are not having any other obvious explanations

But still we need to explore other possibilities because prednisone causing breathlessness is indeed a very rare side effect

Various other causes for breathlessness include conditions associated with lung, heart, and blood conditions like anemia etc can cause breathlessness and these possibilities also need to be ruled out

If no other obvious causes are identified then we need to consider prednisone possibly causing this

You need a thorough examination in the clinic and possibly certain relevant investigations too and if any other causes are identified then it will be treated accordingly and if no other causes are identified then we need to assume this is most likely prednisone related and your rheumatologist needs to make a decision on making appropriate changes in your medication regimen.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,

Customer/p>

Hi, Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this health situation further. And please do not forget to click a positive rating for my services to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too and I will be very glad to continue helping you as long as you need my services.

Best regards,

Customer/p>