Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Over the weekend I have been experiencing gas, I have

Customer Question

hello over the weekend I have been experiencing gas, I have belched allot but the weird thing is the agitation (if you will) around the upper left chest collar bone area. seemed like the more I got the gas out of me it would calm down. I doesn't hurt or anything just feel it moving up there. been drinking some warm ginger ale to help me burp.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: my health has been good. been getting out and walking 2 to 3 mi a day.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I see a chiropractor for adjustments of my neck and back. I take methotrexate once weekly for Arthritis.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the question and im sorry to hear about your symptoms. The belching and teh discomfort which you are describing are clearly symptoms which can be consistent with gastritis or even acid reflux. This occurs because of the stomach acid moving back up into the oesophagus which would present as chest pain, burning, heaviness among other symptoms. The acid reflux can be a consequence of increased intake of alcohol or even excessive smoking. If these are two issues which can be applicable in your case then you should avoid these two substances as much as possible. Now since belching is helping with the symptoms then i would suggest that you cut back on fatty foods. In addition try using OTC drugs like prilosec which is extremely effective in situations like these. A dose of 10 mg twice a day should be good enough to counter these symptoms.

if the symptoms last for longer than 3-4 days then you should have this evaluated with the help of a clinical examination. Sometimes belching can be a sign of gallbladder issues or even liver problems but in most cases it is ONLY related to the stomach and increased acid production. Simple adjustments in the diet and avoidance of things like alcohol for a while is enough to solve the problem along with OTC treatment like prilosec. Do see you doctor if this lasts for longer than 4 days.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.