Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm taken the follow med Onglza 5mg, glipizide 5 mg 2x a day

Customer Question

I'm taken the follow med Onglza 5mg, glipizide 5 mg 2x a day Invokana 300mg bisoprolol 6.25. The onglz, bisoprolol and glipizide I take am. the Involokana and a glipizide at night. For the last 3 night after dinner I have explosive diarrhea. I had the same problem with metaphormin, but that happened in the early afternoon. Could any of these medicines causing the problem.?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications? What confuses you?
Customer: Morphine is the only medicine I know I have a bad reaction too.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Had a colonoscopy 3 yrs ago and Dr found nothing. Thats when I asked the pharmacist and he told me it more than likely the Methormin.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Both the bisoprolol and glipizide are reported to infrequently cause diarrhea. If you have been taking both of these drugs for a while, then diarrhea for a few days would be more likely to be related to an acute illness, and the most common would be a viral infection of the gut. But if either of these medicines were recently added to the regimen, that would be suspicious for the diarrhea being a side effect. In addition, if the diarrhea persists, then it also would be appropriate to consider whether these medicines may be contributing to the diarrhea.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the bisprolol I have been taking for about 10yrs maybe more. The Glipizide for about 5yrs. The diarrhea comes on with no warring. The diarrhea happens frequently. Last Sunday, and Wed,Thur, and Sunday. I do weight watchers so I long what I eat and nothing on these dates was the same.

If the diarrhea has been present for less than a week or two, it is much more likely that it is due to an acute illness rather than to medicines that you have been taking for 5-10 years, and the most likely acute illness would be a viral infection. So it would be appropriate to manage this as a viral illness, just as anyone else with diarrhea of short duration.