Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm scared. Taking citalopram for severe anxiety and panic

Customer Question
I'm scared JA: Have you seen...
I'm scared
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Taking citalopram for severe anxiety and panic attacks
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I'm convinced I got oesophageal cancer
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
11/13/2016
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 1 year ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What are your symptoms about which you are scared?

Since when do you have anxiety and panic?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have suffered with anxiety for many years but it has been severe since July I am having burning pain in my back and shoulder blades severe gas and feel like I have a thick throat
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

What is your age and gender?

Any significant family history?

Do you have difficulty in swallowing, cough, fever, heartburn, acid reflux, indigestion, weight loss?

I am sorry, I would be able to chat, but do not have access to phone.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am 47 and a female
I can swallow no cough no fever suffer with heart burn but on lanzopepole for this severe gas and burning in my back and shoulders I have lost weight but that is because I am scared to eat and don't know if what I'm eating is making it worse I have had mucus in my throat and in my nose
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm so scared that this is serious and I'm going to diec
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is making my anxiety so much worse

Believe me; none of your symptoms are of esophagus cancer. You are unnecessary anxious which are triggering panic attacks.

The best way to deal with panic is a comprehensive approach. It can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist but there are internet based approach nowadays too. CBT has higher efficacy and lower relapse rates.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

11) Deep breathing exercises.

A major component of therapy involves understanding and assuring yourself that the symptoms are neither from a serious medical condition nor from a mental deficiency but rather from a chemical imbalance in the fight or flight response. CBT helps to understand how automatic thoughts and false beliefs/distortions lead to exaggerated emotional responses, such as panic, and how they can lead to secondary behavioral consequences.Cognitive restructuring involves substituting positive thoughts and getting rid of negative thoughts. Some studies have suggested that high importance to religion and religious practices also improve panic symptoms and prevent recurrences.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Combining CBT with medications is extremely helpful. Successful treatment approaches generally involve medication combined with psychotherapy. Chronic anxiety requires a comprehensive approach, as we discussed. Antidepressant agents are the drugs of choice in the treatment of anxiety disorders as you have been prescribed. Behavioral therapy and CBT have demonstrated efficacy through various studies.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thank you for the opportunity to answer completely your Question. Please make sure to rate me because that is how I am credited and paid for my work.

Now, I will provide an Additional Service offer so that you have this option available on your question list to get a hold of me directly in the future.

This additional service offer can be used for

- if you would like to schedule a new, private email session or to ask me directly a new question. It's up to you.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor