Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Tried all antihistamines. Being taking 180mg of telfast one

in morn and one at...
Tried all antihistamines. Being taking 180mg of telfast one in morn and one at night. It works. Is this ok?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Just telfast
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
11/12/2016
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Thanks for the question. Now the dose of telfast that you are on is actually MORE than the maximum recommended daily dose for the drug. The safe dose is actually 180 mg once a day, you are on double the maximum recommended dose. I would recommend that you stick with using one dose of 180 mg in the morning and at night shift to another drug which may work for you. Something like zyrtec at a dose of 10 mg at night. You can try a combination of the antihistamines to try and control your symptoms. Now if that doesnt work then you would need prescription strength antihistamines like levocetrizine or even cyproheptadine or levocabastine. These prescription strength drugs are more effective then OTC antihistamines and can be helpful in your case.

But using telfast in such a high dose for a prolonged period of time is NOT recommended. It can lead to side effects in the long term so i would suggest trying another drug at night or shifting to a prescription strength antihistamine.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could i do for short term only

Yes for the short term. But short term here means for not more than 10 days at the most. I would like that you stick to a week at the most though but it can be extended upto 10 days.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks no i will do that.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor