Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

2 years ago, I fractured my wrist. This is gonna sound

Customer Question

Hi. 2 years ago, I fractured my wrist. This is gonna sound strange, but to this day I honestly have no idea how.. but I still have the x ray and the report and everything from the hospital saying that it was broken. Before i went to the hospital, i dealt with the pain for 3 days before seeking treatment, not knowing it was broken, till finally the pain got so unbareable that I just had to seek help. I obviously have full function in my hand/wrist as its been 2 years since the injury. But every now and then I still get pain. If I lift something heavy or if I use it frequently or when I play around with my niece and nephews. They didn't cast my wrist, they made me keep a brace on it that i was able to take on and off, and i did. It was so uncomfortable so I hated it on. Should i see a doctor? Is there something I should be worried about?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately? It's hard to know for sure. The doctor will figure it out.
Customer: Its worse when i use it, lift, play with kids, or use it too often or roughly, and its better when i put my old brace back on it or relax it and dont move it too much. My health is generally good. I'm normally really healthy. Never ill. I have asthma, that's my only medical condition.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, nothing else.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online and saw that you had been waiting for some time. Can i ask do you have any intermittent stiffness or swelling in the wrist? What is your age and gender?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

Well from what you are describing it seems clear to me that you may have developed osteoarthritis in the wrist joint. Osteoarthritis is one of the major types of arthritis which can develop after trauma such as a fracture in any joint. This can cause pain which worsens on using the joint as well as stiffness and sometimes tenderness over the joint. resting the affected joint usually makes it feel better. With what you are describing it is very likely that you have a very early form of the arithritis. The good news here is that with treatment the changes can be stopped or even reversed in some cases. The first thing to do would be to get an xray of the wrist joint and the surrounding bones and if needed a MRI of the wrist should also be done as well. Secondly once that is done you can get started on treatment. Now there are several things which you can do at home which can help here as well,

Use heat and cold to manage pain. Both heat and cold can relieve pain in your joint. Heat also relieves stiffness, and cold can relieve muscle spasms and pain

Capsaicin. Topical capsaicin — an active component in hot chili peppers — applied over an arthrititic joint may be an alternative for people who can't take NSAIDs. It may not be noticeably helpful unless consistently applied three to four times a day for several weeks. Be sure to wash your hands well after applying capsaicin cream.

Braces. Applying a wrist brace can be very helpful as it will prevent undue stress on your joint at all times.

Physiotherapy. Physiotherapy will play a major role at this point in time. This will strengthen the muscle s around your joint and can also help with the pain

NSAIDs. You can use OTC anti inflammatory agents like motrin and aleve which will help in reducing the inflammation inside the joint

Supplements. Some supplements can help here like glucosamine and chondritin sulfate. Others include vitamin E, C and calcium and Vitamin D supplements.

Now i would suggest that you start the above interventions but at the same time schedule an appointment with your doctor and have this evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am a 27 yr old female. My wrist never gets swollen, except one time it did slightly. But stiffness, yes. Yes it does get stiff.

Thank you for the information, Given that you do get stiffness then i would recommend that you do get the xrays done. And i think a MRI would be needed as well. This does sound like osteoarthritis more than anything else but it is possible that you could also have tendonitis which is inflammation of the tendons in the area. in either case steroid injectiosn into the region can also be very effective as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Given the trauma, osteoarthritis can develop even at this young age. But at the same time the possibility of tendonitis should be kept in mind. Ot is also possible that you could have developed inflammation of the joint due to autoimmune causes which can cause stiffness and pain of this sort. This can be diagnosed with the help of simple tests like ANA and ESR if the other causes have been ruled out after getting xrays and MRI done.

Do you have any more questions?