How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 55776
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 68 year old woman. Can a person have shingles under

Customer Question

I am a 68 year old woman. Can a person have shingles under the breasts? I thought you had them around your waist.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I forgot to ask my medical doctor when I was in for my check up in October. I am a diabetic. I take Novolog 8,8 and 12 mealtime. I take Levemir 28units at bedtime. I take Metanx, triamtl Hctz 37.5, Valacyclovier 500mg 1 a day, Amitriplyline 75 1 bedtime, Pantoprazole 40mg 1 a day, Just started on Temazepam 15mg at night.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Sulfa, latex
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, it started a little last summer, then went away. It started again this summer, I thought it was heat. I've tried every cream that's on the market. I got pink lotion tonight, calmine that's it. Someone mention shingles. I had shingles in the middle of my stomach 43 years ago after my first baby. A few months went away.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 9 months ago.


I'm Janne Nissinen a board certified neurologist.

Shingles typically affect the waist or chest and are on one side of the body. As you probably now it is a very painful condition. It is very unlikely that you would have shingles confined only to the breast area as the virus travels along nerves and that's why shingles shows up in a band-like fashion. What you are describing sounds like a fungal rash which typically occurs in warm and moist part in the body, such as skin folds (groin, under breast, stomach folds etc). Also the fact that it occurs during the summer (warm months) suggest fungal rash. You could try an over the counter anti-fungal cream. Any drug-store will carry them and you can ask the pharmacy staff for recommendations on the brands they carry.

Expert:  Janne Nissinen replied 9 months ago.

If you have any other questions please let me know. Otherwise thank you for allowing me to participate in your medical care. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback if you are satisfied as we are compensated based upon our reviews. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 9 months ago.
You probably have it there

Do you have a picture?