Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

What does the sentence: Mild prominence of portacaval node

Customer Question

what does the sentence : Mild prominence of portacaval node short axis of 9 mm noted mean
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? Are you taking any medications the doctor should know about?
Customer: yes I had a CT scan and I am seeing a specialist I just want to know for myself before I go I am a worry wort
JA: Is there anything else in your medical history you would like the doctor to know?
Customer: I have had a gall bladder removal, two grapefruit size cyst remove from my ovary area, complete hysterectomy , hernia fix in my belly button, scar tissue removed from my belly button and a upper hernia fix
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 8 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Portocaval lymph node can get bigger due to the infection or inflammation. Viral hepatitis is a common cause for example. Malignancies from liver, bile duct, gallbladder, pancreas can also cause such lymph node enlargement. Usually CT scan will also detect other lesions in the liver, pancreas as well in case of malignancy. Still, you should discuss with your specialist for better clinical correlation.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/