How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Basu Your Own Question
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 29245
Experience:  MD
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr Basu is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was told by my DR. that I should have a bone calcium

Customer Question

I was told by my DR. that I should have a bone calcium infusion, as I have osteopiena, but I'm having 2nd thoughts about this. Would I be better off taking a supplement like algae cal and see how it does.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I have been under a Dr. with this problem for many years, taking citrical plus Vit D for many years, and since my numbers have not improved but not gotten worse, he thought the infusion would help. I need a 2nd opinion
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I an 80 yrs old in good health, a little high blood pressure, which I'm taking Losartan 50 mg , not overweight, and take a vit each day
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: I had a checkup last Dec. and am due for another one this Dec., as for high blood pressure, my mother had high blood pressure and lived to 90.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

I understand your reservation on infusions. You should try oral bisphosphonate like Fosamax weekly. Fosamax improves bone calcification along with calcium and vitamin D supplements. Besides fosamax there are other oral options as well from same group. Infusions are reserved when you fail a trial of fosamax or cannot tolerate it orally due to the acid reflux problem or throat pain.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile: