Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

My 5 year old throws up everyday/night! He does have a ton

Customer Question

my 5 year old throws up everyday/night! He does have a ton of drainage and has had tubes in his ears. We are getting tubes up back in on Monday. I'm not sure if this is related? Meaning.... he has frequently thrown up in the past (more than normal). He's even had a scope done 2 years ago, but didn't show anything. He has been coughing a lot and usually that's when he throws up LATELY??? ugh
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: Well he has allergies and currently has an ear infection. I would say the coughing has been consistent for about 2 weeks
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: sometimes he starts coughing after going to bed and then throws up while sleeping. its pretty forceful! He does have food and environmental allergies.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
well ne of the cousins in our family had pyloric stenosis so we were concerned about that. But the scope was fine ( 2 years ago). We cut out gluten for awhile and he still threw up, but maybe not as much (didn't see extreme changes there) He does have a tree nut/ peanut allergy. He has had a lot of ear infections in his 5 years. Monday we are getting a second set. He's had tonsils and adenoids removed. he also gets car sick/ motion sick. Before it was just if he played an ipad in the car. Now its more frequent? I'm sure he has a sensitive gag reflux....if he cries- he throws up, if he coughs -he throws up, if he eats and goes and plays (running, jumping)- he throws up? I guess I'm just concerned how a person can throw up so much and it just be a sensitive gag reflux? he still eats and drinks- especially after eating a meal and throwing up- he's starving again! So really no problems there. But since he does throw up so much I've had to get a letter from his primary doctor stating that he's not sick, he just has a sensitive gag reflux. Otherwise the school will keep sending him home!

The sinuses and drainage can definitely cause nausea and vomiting

no doubt about it.

is that what you wanted to know?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well I basically knew that! I just wanted to know with you're professional background if there might be anything more serious that it could be if " After" getting the tubes back in and it doesn't stop and continues to happen? It just doesn't seem right, regardless of it being a sinus issue! For someone (kid) to have that much drainage and throwing up (if that is the reason) most everyday ... there has to be something they can do about that too! If that is the cause!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I mean seriously... his esophagus has to be raw and not to mention the nutrients he could be lackingbecause of all the food he throws up!

I'm sure it isn't comfortable. kids are resilient and heal fast though

I don't think it is anything else really

the drainage makes sense

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks for this question.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)

If you have more questions, just reply.