Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am allergic to penicillin. Is it safe for me to eat blue

Customer Question

I am allergic to penicillin. Is it safe for me to eat blue cheese?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for this question. While it is true that blue cheese is made from a strain of the same fungus as penicillin the antibiotic is made from, it is a completely different strain. Penicillin is made from Penicillium chrysogenum while blue cheese is made from P. roqueforti. This means that you are safe in eating blue cheese. The second reason is that the concentration of the actual penicillium fungus in the blue cheese is so small that it would not cause a allergic reaction. The only reason you would not be able to eat blue cheese is because of allergies to the blue cheese itself which is possible.

However if you are allergic to penicillin, that does not translate to being allergic to blue cheese and you can eat it safely. (unless you have allergies to blue cheese)

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/