Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

A few months ago I went for a pedicure. Since it was

Customer Question
a few months ago I...
a few months ago I went for a pedicure. Since it was summertime I got a polish that was a bright color. After awhile as the polish began to wear off I noticed that one toe...next one in from the baby toe....was a dark gray color. The nail seems to be ok but underneath is gray. Its been several months now and I am getting concerned. What could be going on?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no doctor seen and nothing done about it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
11/8/2016
Doctor: Dr Josh, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Myself Dr Josh- and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Have you noticed swelling in affected toe?

Is it painful to touch?

Age and gender?

Any other health or medical problems ?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

Dear,

Thanks for staying Online.

I can understand your concern.

Well a gray toenail could indicate a few different things.

It is possible that the nail bed is not getting enough circulation. If that is the case, then the cause of this needs to be determined.

It could be related with a fungal, although typically fungal nail infections appear yellow or white, sometimes the nail may appear darkened which may appear gray.

Your doctor can take a scraping from the toenail to look under the microscope or grow in the lab to determine if this is fungal, bacterial or psoriasis.

If the cause is fungal then there are several things to consider.

First one will need to eliminate the circumstances that make it easy for fungal infections (dark, moist areas) by exposing the foot to air and light as much as possible.

There are several medications that can be used depending on the type of fungal or other infection found. Oral anti-fungal medications can have uncomfortable side effects. Sometimes a topical medication may be tried first. In extreme cases surgery is needed to remove the fungus.

You would need medications like- Fluconazole griseofulvin, terbinafine, and itraconazole.
You would also need Topical medications.

You can use this home remedy-

You can mix one part vinegar to 2 parts warm water and soak your feet 15 to 20 minutes daily.

You should be careful to rinse well and dry well after this.

Some people have found the product called "Tea Tree Oil" helpful for treatment and prevention of toenail fungus.

Please use above measures, and see your doctor.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor