Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

Are you there, Dr David?

Customer Question

Are you there, Dr David?
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I noticed a new mole on my soon-to-be 7-year-old yesterday. It is just above her left ankle and about 1mm - quite tiny. She already has about 10 other moles, most bigger than this one. The reason I am worried is that it looks darker than all the others. I tried to take a picture but can't get a good one.
1. Is it normal for a new mole to seemingly pop up over night?
2. Does it matter that it's darker than the others?3. Is it true that melanoma cases in kids are about 1 in a million, and many of those are congenital ones. Is it so vanishingly rare in a 6-year-old that I shouldn't be panicking?
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Dr Rick here. I completed an Internal medicine internship in NYC and have two decades of clinical experience. How can I assist you today?

Does the child have any other medical conditions?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Dr. Rick. No, she has no other medical conditions.

Thank you for that additional information.

That pigmented lesion does not look worrisome to me....

So. What should you do?

1. Given what you have posted I do not believe that the primary problem is the moles on your child's skin but, rather, your severe anxiety/concern with them.

2. As such, the treatment sound focus on dealing with your anxiety and issues and not with the skin lesions of the child.

Does this make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I am very aware that I have anxiety issues and though I've tried various treatment for this, nothing has really helped.I'm reassured by your assessment that this mole doesn't look worrying, but do you think it would be prudent to have it checked in person in any case?Also, would you mind answering my original questions?1. Is it normal for a new mole to seemingly pop up over night?2. Does it matter that it's darker than the others?3. Is it true that melanoma cases in kids are about 1 in a million, and many of those are congenital ones. Is it so vanishingly rare in a 6-year-old that I shouldn't be panicking?Thanks,

It sounds like your anxiety over this mole will not be laid to rest until this 7 year old has a wide margin excisional biopsy.....and if that occurs I believe your anxiety issues would have transitioned into the arena of munchausen by proxy.

So. What to do?

1. Assure yourself that this mole is of no concern.

2. Get help with your anxiety before it hurts this child.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would really appreciate it if you could specificially answer my 3 questions.
I agree I have anxiety.
But all of the advice online says to see your doctor when your child develops a new mole. To me, that is extreme. I have never done that, despite my anxiety. She has plenty of moles that I have never monitored. But this one looks different, hence my questions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
FYI, I reposted this question so that Dr David (whom I originally requested) could reply. He said this:yes, it is normal for new moles to pop up.
it looks benign. it doesn't matter that it is darker than the others.
this is not a skin melanoma.
you shouldn't be panicking about melanoma for her. this is just a benign mole.Which answered my questions without any need for the lengthy and unhelpful responses about my anxiety.
I agree I am anxious, but online advice says to get moles checked out if they look different ("ugly duckling rule") so I was just trying to be a responsible parent. You may wish to tone down your response in future, and try to answer the specific questions people ask.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
By the way, my rating is not a punishment for you being honest.
It is because, despite several attempts on my part to get some information, you neglected to answer the questions I asked.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 11 months ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, this mole looks benign. it is not worrisome for melanoma.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** *****

you are welcome.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

you shouldn't be worried.

it looks like a benign mole.