Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have plantar fasciitis and it is not getting better. Last

Customer Question

I have plantar fasciitis and it is not getting better. Last night, I wore my brand new Asics Nimbus 8 shoes while walking around our downtown area and this morning, I can't put any weight on my foot because of the pain. Over the past weeks, I have rolled it on a frozen water bottle, taken ibuprofen, massaged the band, and tried to rest it. Is it better to wear hard soled shoes such as Birkenstocks or shoes with cushion like my Asics?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 11 months ago.

Hello!

It is best to use a soft gel type insole or heel cup ....

These help distribute pressure and helps to avoid as much pressure on the insertion point of the plantar fasia ...

I agree with your other measures with the cold application and ibuprofen ...

You might follow up such as with podiatrist to have a steroid injection ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Dr. Bray

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have heard about soft gel insoles. I wore my crocs thinking that is similar and by the end of the day, my foot was in so much pain. That is why I thought the Birkenstocks might be better but it is a lot of money to invest. I have also bought two different packages of the plantar fasciitis inserts but they put pressure right where it is the most tender. I haven't tried to heel cup or a full gel insert like the dr. scholl's gelling' inserts. Is that what you think is best? Also, I assume rest is still the best thing? I am used to a morning walk but have been trying to cut back. I also did the elliptical but that made it hurt too. Thanks.

Hello again,

Usually pain is worst when you FIRST START to walk after a rest

You may do better to massage after a rest ( warm up the heel / plantar fascia ) moderate activity best in long run with this condition

Too much or Too little may do worse...

Gel insole is what I prefer to help this condition ..

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if I may be of further help

Best regards!